You can apply the thermal paste at the time of installing the heatsink on the CPU or a video card. If you want better heat conduction between two objects, the thermal paste will serve as the high heat conductive paste. The thermal paste is also known as thermal grease and thermal compound.
There are three types of thermal paste available on the market.
- Metal Based- It enjoys high thermal conductivity due to the presence of metal particles in the grease.
- Ceramic Based- In approx. Quantity the thermally conductive material is present in it, and they are not electrically conductive.
- Silicon Based – You will get it with cooling kits and can easily apply as it comes in syringe style. It contains silicone fluid with 20% metal oxide.
Though thermal paste and grease are the same stuff using the configuration and efficiency interchangeably varies. The different types of carbon, metal and ceramic used in grease and paste, and all kinds of variants are defined by various terms.
Thermal Grease vs Thermal Paste
Thermal grease is of two types non-conductive and conductive. Silicone and zinc based mixtures are non-conductive thermal grease and silver, copper and aluminum based lubricants are conductive types. You can apply the thermal grease between microprocessor and heatsink.
The CPU thermal compound is paste or grease like substance that is known by different names such as thermal paste, thermal grease, and thermal interface material (TIM).
Benefits of Thermal Paste
- You can make use of CPU thermal grease to get well heat dissipation and decrease the CPU temperature by applying it to the contact surfaces of CPU and heat sink.
- The contact surfaces are not smooth and perfect, so air is trapped due to microscopic scratches. The CPU temperature will not be lowered due to the presence of air which is considered as the worst thermal conductors. A thermal paste helps to resolve this.
- Under load, the CPUs will run 20 to 3000 hotter in the absence of thermal paste.
- For better heat dissipation the minuscule air pockets are filled with the thermal paste. These air pockets are between the contact surfaces.
TG -7 Thermal Grease- Between the heat source and the heat sink the air gap is removed by maximizing heat transfer. It provides thermal productivity.
- During usage, it won’t dry out or crack.
- It is easy to apply for better heat dissipation.
- It enjoys long life span by providing ideal protection against heat damage of CPU.
If you are interested in knowing thermal paste vs thermal grease, then you will find that both the terms are used for the same purpose which is to improve the heat conductivity between CPU and heat sink. On the heatsink or the CPU, you can directly apply the paste. You will experience the high-quality performance of the system as this compound helps to prevent overheating of the processor.
To fill the gaps of the uneven surface of the CPU or a heat sink, you can use the thermal compound. It has high thermal conductivity to address the gaps. In this way, you can avoid or check the undesirable effect on the heat transfer.